Before beginning a girls horse bedding – cowgirl theme bedroom, it is a good idea to choose the bedding prior to the colour of paint and accessories that will be included. There are many horse and pony quilts, comforters and bedding sets available, in a wide variety of patterns. Most horse bedding for little girl’s is in soft muted colours, such as pale pink, lavenders, yellow, or meadow green. These colours work well in creating a pony pasture room. Another option is to purchase a solid comforter or quilt set, and add giant western pillows with sheets and shams in cowgirl prints. Girls horse bedding is also available in earth tones, such as shades of brown and beige to darker rustic and rich tones which are perfect for a south-western feel. Indigo blue or bright red can provide a bold look, and brings in a real cowgirl feel as they are both colours of standard bandanas. Blue tones provide a denim look. You simply need to figure out the approach you would like to take, and build from there.
Creative Design Ideas for Girls Horse Bedding – Cowgirl Theme Bedrooms:
Once the bedding has been chosen, it’s time to select a wall paint colour. I suggest bringing a pillow sham or the complete bedding set into the paint store with you when viewing samples. Once the walls are painted, a cowgirl, western, south-western or horse theme wallpaper border can be added. Other options include pony wall stencils, murals, or hand-painted pasture scenes with horses, barns, flowers, and a picket fence. For those not wanting to paint, you can also purchase stick on wall decals or wallpaper murals. A creative idea is to paint or apply a purchased mural of an outdoor scene and add a wood frame with shutters around it to depict a window.
Creative Design Ideas for Cowgirl Theme Bedrooms:I’ve broken this down into two separate categories: Rustic Cowgirl Western Design and Pastel Pony Pasture.
Pastel Pony Pasture Design:
1. For this approach, think of subtle pinks, greens and lavenders. Fabric choices can include white lace, ginghams, checks, plaids, pink and white stripes, soft green meadows tones, with sweet little ponies. This look is most appealing to younger girls and incorporates an equestrian feel to the room. Use the colour of the bedding for inspiration for wall paint.
2. A great way to add artwork is by browsing through pictures of horses, farms and ponies in pastures online and in magazines. Artwork is fun to incorporate into a child’s room and should reflect the colour of the bedding as well. There is lots of artwork available for little girl’s rooms that can be purchased online. Another option, is to simply print photos found online, and purchase simple frames to put them in. I did this for my own children, and was very happy with the result. I used photos from www.istockphoto.com, as there is a huge selection to choose from, and many of the photos run for $1.00 and up. Again, here is another fun way to include your child in the design process. If they are looking for ponies, rolling meadows or equestrian events, simply type this in, and there are hundreds of options to choose from. Vector images are great for cartoon type characters, such as simply drawn ponies. If you are handy with Adobe Photoshop or a similar program, you can change colours in the images, add text (such as their name or inspiring quote), or put a collage together using several photos. I usually purchase the frames from Ikea, and often paint the frames to match a colour in the bedding or image. Even a child’s favourite book with horses and ponies can be converted into artwork for their wall. Paint by number kits readily available, and are another fun option that allows your child to be directly involved in the design process.
3. Get creative with championship ribbons. Incorporate a white picket fence with flowers and butterflies. A picket fence really compliments the pony pasture theme, creating a country inspired look to the room. There are several options available in creating a picket fence. You can use real fence posts painted white, hand paint a picket fence onto the wall, or apply a WALLIES pre-pasted, vinyl cut-out of a fence. Real fence posts can be painted white, and attached section by section to the wall. A soft rose colour wall paint goes beautifully behind the fence section with a soft yellow or neutral colour above. Large paper flowers can be wound around the posts. Faux-painted grass, butterflies and ladybugs can then be painted randomly. It creates a very whimsical and soft look to the room.
4. Classic white furniture looks wonderful with this theme. You can decoupage ponies, horseshoes, and cowgirl hats onto a dresser – or border around a mirror. Try hand painting a dresser letting the fabrics, artwork and bedding inspire you. Log or wood furniture can be a perfect addition.
5. A carpet in a soft grass green colour or rosy pink that compliments the walls and bedding is a nice touch. A neutral colour also blends in well and won’t detract from wall art and other decor.
6. You can purchase pony curtains and holdbacks. I think that sheer white curtains fluttering the breeze, teamed with a gingham valence provides a stunning effect.
7. Create a barn feel with wood grain or log wallpaper to create the look and feel of a stable. Paint the closet to look like a barn door. Add old saddles, real horse tackle, and other equestrian related objects throughout the room.
8. Use decorative accents such as horse themed clocks, novelty pony or horseshoe drawer knobs and pulls, models of horses, little cowgirl boots and horseshoes hanging on the wall. Add hats, spurs and bandanas to shelves. Bookends can be made from cowboy boots.
I hope you have found these tips helpful. Have fun creating your girls horse bedding & cowgirl theme bedroom!
Written by the Editor & Interior Designer for Buyer Select: Tracy Svendsen