KIDS SAFARI BEDROOM
Bring the style of the Savanna to your child’s space by creating a jungle or kids safari bedroom. Although this look is most often desired by little boys, it can also be perfect for an adventurous young girl. Find an extensive collection of adorable safari bedding, covered with zoo animals such as elephants, lions, zebras and tigers. Add woven rugs with African-inspired patterns to continue the safari theme. Other great additions are world globes, suitcase storage and safari art. Pops of green and orange accents in an otherwise neutral room, are the perfect way to the bring the jungle into your little one’s room. Shop by theme: jungle safari bedroom, woodland bedroom, outerspace, kids nautical bedroom and woodland bedroom.
KIDS SAFARI BEDROOM INSPIRATION
The most simple way to start designing a kids safari bedroom, is by choosing a jungle or safari bedding set to use as the initial centerpiece. There are many quilt and comforter sets available that depict safari scenery and animals, such as lions, zebras, giraffes and tigers. Safari bedding can be found in bold and dynamic colors, as well as more muted, earth tone shades. There is also the option of animal print bedding, with zebra, giraffe or leopard print patterns.
When I have designed a safari room for a teenager, I generally prefer to start with a solid tan or creme color comforter, and incorporate the animal print patterns into cushions that are placed on the bed, and larger one’s on the floor, in groups of three.
Walls can be painted in a color taken directly from the bedding, in a more muted tone, or perhaps a bolder one, depending upon the look you are seeking. Colors most typically associated with a safari theme are tan, green or ivory. Paint color can also reflect the savannah’s, using tans, gold’s and ivories, with the ceiling having some blue added to indicate the wide expanse of sky. For an older child, soft tones of brown work well. If there is a color that is predominant in the bedding, such as a bright orange, this can also be a creative approach to take.
There are many accessories and options available that can be integrated into a safari theme bedroom, which help complete the look, or pull it together.
1. Consider animal print or safari theme wall murals, wallpaper, or borders. Have an artist paint a safari theme on one of the walls. Murals can include tropical plants, flowers and trees as well as monkeys, lions, zebras, toucans, parrots, cockatoos and giraffes.
2. Wall art is another method to further enhance the theme. You can purchase prints depicting jungle scenes and animals, or simply cut out images you like from magazines and books and frame them. There are many web sites that sell stock print photography, for as low as $2.00 per image. I usually take this route, as the images can be printed in sizes that fit standard frames, hung on the wall, or clustered in small groups on dressers or built-in storage cubicles. If you are handy with Adobe Photoshop or a similar program, you can create your own artwork. For my teenage daughter’s room, I used one image of a zebra, erased the white stripes, and incorporated other unique colors of her choice into the empty space.
3. Add some stuffed animals, such as lions, elephants and zebras. They can be placed on the bed, a chair, or a large giraffe tucked into a corner works well. Incorporate accessories such as netting, binoculars and animal print pillows. For an older child, large weathered African style vases stuffed with twisting branches looks great. You can purchase the branches at many home decor stores, and they look best in black. When grouping items together, odd numbers work best, e.g. three animal print cushions on the bed, rather than two. Odd numbers seem to create a better balance.
4. Border the room in large leafy plants to create a feeling of being enclosed, or tucked into the jungle. Plants and trees can be real, fake or painted on the walls.
5. Rugs, Curtains and lighting can also add to the safari theme. Choices available are thick green or earth tone rugs, or floor mats. When searching for a safari bedding set, often a coordinating rug is also available for purchase. For older kids, an animal print area rug is a good option. Curtains can be purchased that coordinate with the bedding, with the same print reflected in the valence, or solid colors that reflect a color that exists in the bedding. When choosing window treatments, or paint color, it’s a great idea to bring the bedding with you to the store. Lampshades can be purchased in earth tone shades, or again, by picking out a color from the bedding. I like to pick out a brighter color sometimes, like an orange or blue as it adds a splash of color.
6. If you feel comfortable with painting, you can paint the walls of the room a soft blue color, and then paint images of cartoon type giraffes, tigers and lions throughout the room.
I hope you have found these tips helpful. Have fun creating your kids safari bedroom!
Written by the Editor & Interior Designer for Buyer Select: Tracy Svendsen
FEATURED KIDS SAFARI BEDROOM DECOR
If you’re looking to catch a glimpse of a few favorite jungle animals without leaving the house, then this Safari Bedding is for you. The 100% cotton quilt is adorned with lovable printed animals, embellished with various embroidered details. Add the coordinating sham for a really wild look.
Bon Voyage Suitcase Set
Bon Voyage Suitcases are great for displaying all the trinkets you’ve amassed on your voyages around the world. The bright, vibrant colors also make them perfect for use as a gift package.
Jumbo Plush Tiger
This tall, huggable safari animal will transform your child’s room into an adventurous animal kingdom. Lifelike eyes and stripes make this tiger extra special, while sturdy construction ensures that he’ll last through years of hugs and love.
Jungle Map Bedding
Whether you’ve found yourself lost in the jungle or you’re looking to add a few safari accents to your bedroom, the Jungle Map Sham is just what you need. The playfully printed design makes it the perfect complement to our Jungle Map Bedding.
Bold Type Flag Banners
Make every day a banner day with Bold Type Flag Letters. Spell out your child’s name or favorite saying anywhere you want. One hanging string holds up to 19 flags, so there’s plenty of room to get wordy.
Charcoal Cargo Dresser
When it comes to furniture that’s ready for the long haul, our Cargo 2-Over-2 Dresser was made to last. That’s because it features clean, simple lines, giving it a timeless look that can coordinate with nearly any style. Plus, the sturdy, made-to-last construction means it’ll be ready to carry its weight for years to come. And with a variety of stunning colors to choose from, you’re sure to find the perfect piece for your home.
Midnight Blue Dresser
If you want a dresser with a stylish design and an adventurous spirit, our Campaign Dresser is the perfect candidate. Its solid wood drawers provide plenty of storage and its brass finished drawer pulls and decorative corner brackets give it a refined touch. Plus, it’s available in multiple bold colors that’ll stand out in any room.